The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital is committed to providing the highest quality of family-centered medical care with our skilled, multi-disciplinary neonatal team. Our unit has 84 licensed beds for the most critically ill babies. As one of the few level 4 tertiary centers in Southern California, we are equipped to provide the highest level of care for newborns with the most complex disorders.
We have subspecialists in all medical and surgical areas that are available at all times and are supported by hospital staff with technical, laboratory, and service expertise. Pediatric neurologists work together with us in our NeuroNICU to diagnose, treat and monitor babies with neurologic injury or illness and we focus on providing neuroprotective, developmentally appropriate care for all babies in the NICU. Very specialized care is given in our Small Baby Unit to babies born at less than 30 weeks gestation. Babies at risk for developmental delay are followed up to 3 years in our High Risk Infant Follow-up Clinic. Genetics specialists are available for evaluation and consultation.
Our Children’s Hospital is designated as a Baby Friendly Hospital that supports breastmilk feeding for both term and preterm babies. Neonatal Social Workers and Child Life Specialists are important members of our team. It is our goal to support babies and families in culturally sensitive ways as our patients come from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds.
State-of-the-Art Technology We Provide
- Conventional and high frequency jet and oscillator ventilators
- Inhaled nitric oxide for treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Extracorporal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Whole body cooling for treatment of perinatal asphyxia
- Ultrasound, MRI, MRS and CT imaging
- EEG and aEEG brain monitoring
- Near infra-red spectroscopy (NIRS)
- Surgical correction of congenital anomalies
- Comprehensive ophthalmology evaluation and intervention
- Neonatal transport from neighboring facilities (More information)
Our mission is to ensure that the highest quality of individualized, developmentally supportive, and family- centered care is provided for all babies in our intensive nursery.