High Risk Infant Services
At the Loma Linda Children’s Hospital High Risk Infant Clinic, we use a team approach to identify children with developmental difficulties. This team consists of neonatologists, pediatricians, neonatology fellows, pediatric residents in training, nurses, dietitians, physical therapists, and social workers.
What to Expect
Before your child’s appointment at the High Risk Infant Clinic, please make sure you have documents regarding your child’s medical history and necessary related documents.
Common Documents that may be Needed at Appointment:
- Documentations from infant’s hospital discharge
- Insurance information
- Names and addresses of other sub-specialty providers
- Any neuroimaging (e.g., head ultrasound or head MRI) or lab results
- Parent Questionnaire. This may be mailed to you before the appointment date.
- Documents requested by the HRIF Clinic
Typically, children are seen at three stages for a minimum of 3 core visits.
Initial Core Visit (Adjusted Age of 4-6 Months)
The initial visit is at an adjusted age of 4-6 months . At this visit, the family will see a physician and a nurse, social worker, physical therapist, and a dietitian as needed. This initial visit typically takes 3-4 hours.
Follow Core Visit (Adjusted Age of 8-12 Months)
Subsequent visits will take 2-3 hours. Tests such as the Movement Assessment Index of Infant will be done to further assess the infant’s development. At this visit, the family will typically see a physician and a nurse, and additional clinic staff as needed. Tests and assessments used will be based on the child’s specific needs.
Final Core Visit (Adjusted Age 18 -24 Months)
A comprehensive screening will be administered during this appointment. Infant will be assessed using the Bayley III Scales of Infant and Toddler Development, 3rd edition. It is administered by a trained health professional in Infant and Child Development. The visit will take about 3-4 hours, which includes the 1.5 to 2 hours needed for the Bayley Developmental Assessment. When scheduling this appointment, please keep in mind that rescheduling is difficult as these appointments are scheduled months in advance.
Additional visit(s) may be scheduled to follow-up on specific problems, such as poor weight gain and growth.
What is Assessed?
- Medical history and present medical needs
- Fine and gross motor development
- Cognitive/intellectual development
- Growth & nutrition assessment
- Vision and hearing follow-up
- Utilization of community resources
- Coordination of services for additional care
Bayley Developmental Assessment
The Bayley Development Assessment is utilized to identify developmental delays and provide information for intervention. The test measures cognitive, language, motor, social-emotional, and adaptive development from ages 1-42 months. The Bayley Developmental Assessment consists of five scales that yield scores for each of the five developmental areas. The assessment requires approximately 1.5 to 2 hours of a follow-up visit.
Other Possible Tests
An infant may be referred to other sub-specialties at Loma Linda Children's Hospital and in the community based on the evaluation by the HRIF Clinic Staff. Examples of additional sub-specialty evaluations that may be needed include:
- Audiology (hearing evaluation)
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Pediatric Gastroenterology (GI)
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Ophthalmology (eye evaluation)
- Pediatric Neuro Assessment Program (evaluation for Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Neurodiagnostics (brain transmission evaluation)
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy
- Pediatric Urology
Our Clinical Team:
- Jayne Haga-Moore, RN - HRIF Clinic Coordinator
- Dr. Yona Nicolau - HRIF Medical Director
- Dr. Linda Yang
- Dr. Melissa Siccama
- Dr. Cristina Garberoglio
- Gerte Graybill, PT
- Rhonda Nelson, PT
- Anastasia Belliard, PT
- Revay Mead, PT
- Arden Christmas, PT
- Joy Bradley, PT
- Abby Namsang, SL
- Ellen Sabangan, RD
- Felicia Hall, RD
- Malia Jose, MSW
- Claudia Rivera, Patient Care Assistant and Scheduler
- Susan Taitague, Data Entry Specialist