The following is a brief summary of what the schedule looks like for the residents of Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital.
- During the PL2/PL3 years, we offer training that is geared specifically for your future career path called Flex months. These months allow you to have the ability to choose more outpatient and/or inpatient experiences.
- International Rotations are highly supported during your PL3 year. Multiple sites at various countries worldwide are available, including Malawai and Guam, and can be arranged through our Global Health Institution.
- An optional inpatient month at White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles is available during your PL2/PL3 for exposure to a different facility and health care system.
- Subspecialty consult months include Gastroenterology, Pulmonology, Neurology, Endocrinology, Cardiology, and Infectious Disease
- Selective months include Rheumatology, Genetics, Forensics, Nephrology consults, and Hematology/Oncology consults
|PL 1||PL 2/3|
|Inpatient Wards||4 months||5 months|
|Outpatient Clinic (SACHS)||3 months*||2 months|
|ER||1 month||1 month|
|OK Kids/Advocacy||1 month**|
|Elective/Selective||1 month**||3 months|
|Flex months||2 months**|
|Subspecialty consult||6 months***|
|Vacation||3 weeks||8 weeks|
*Two months of outpatient clinic will consist of two weeks of ward night float each month (averages to about one month of ward night float during intern year)
** The 2 months of flex can be used as additional outpatient exposure or inpatient or 50/50.
*** An average of 5 nights of NICU night float within the months indicated (three months during intern year and three months during PL2/PL3 years)